We were very pleased to co-sponsor yesterday’s Booklist Webinar for No Name Calling Week entitled Battle Bullying with Books. Along with Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Rosen Digital Publishing, Candlewick Press, and GLSEN (The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network), we presented information about books and other resources teachers and librarians (and parents and other educators) can use to help kids and prevent bullying. There were nearly 800 people watching live and over 2000 people registered, so all of the presenters were quite excited.
So what, you might wonder, are the steps for sponsoring and presenting such a webinar. I can’t speak for any of the others, but here’s what I did:
1. Get call from Booklist asking us to sponsor.
2. Say yes.
3. Put it on my schedule and then forget about it for months.
4. Get reminder e-mail from editor re: PowerPoint.
5. Get second reminder e-mail from editor–after the due date.
6. Panic briefly.
7. Create beautiful PowerPoint in two hours.
8. Write date of practive webinar in three difference calendars and on a post-it on monitor.
9. Particpate in practice “tech” webinar — find out that our logo looks green on a Mac.
10. Panic briefly.
11. Booklist fixes problem. Thanks!
12. Re-read and review script for presentation.
13. Realize one book is not actually about bullying.
14. Panic briefly.
15. Booklist can remove the lovely, but not-about-bullying title from the presentation. Thanks!
16. Wake up nervous on the day.
17. All presentations go nicely.
18. Find it difficult to ignore the Q&A section filled with technical questions.
18. Presentation over!
19. Await final registration list so I can send a fabulous discount e-blast.